Monday, April 11, 2011

Moving In

We're finally here on the boat.  Just spent the day moving some stuff onboard and getting rid of some of the stuff that was left here by the previous owner.   We've only moved in a fraction of the stuff that we brought down.   It's still so surreal that we are now living on a boat.   We spent the hottest part of the day napping in our pullman berth.  Surprising, the cabin was pretty cool, considering the high today was 90 degrees.   I think it's because we have a lot of hatches that open up to allow airflow, I was really nervous that the boat would feel like an oven.  

It's only our 2nd day in St. Augustine and already I feel like we live here.  I don't know how I feel about being here yet.  Things are so....different.  I can't figure out if that's a good thing or a bad thing.  The people here all seem very friendly, and already a couple times today, complete strangers have come up and started conversations with us.  The first time was when we were getting sandwiches, this guy from Africa came up and started talking to us about how Chinese women don't usually marry black men and about the crisis over in Japan.  Another time was at Walmart, our cashier told us about her dentist and how she got her tooth pulled  (I think the lady was on drugs) , and then a few times today at our marina, with a couple of other liveaboards.  Frank and I aren't used to it...all this loquaciousness and friendliness.  I guess we're just suspicious New Yorkers ;)  We're not used to people who want to talk to us and not want anything from us.  

I still can't believe that we own this boat.  That this is going to be our home for the next couple of years is just completely mind boggling.  There are so many systems that we have yet to figure out, and right now, as I'm writing (it's about 11pm), Frank is trying to figure out why our refrigerator is not pumping water like it's supposed to.  I have a feeling that this is just the beginning of a series of problems that we are going to have fix and problem solve on Moitessier.  

No comments:

Post a Comment